Some things just seem to go together, and baseball games and peanuts are two of those things. The song Take Me Out to the Ballgame even says, “Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks.” However, with peanuts being one of the Top 8 allergens, and peanut allergies having increased by 21 percent since 2010, many Major League Baseball (MLB) teams are taking steps to ensure that peanut-allergic fans can enjoy games without having to worry about allergic reactions.
While it is difficult to cut peanuts entirely from baseball games, these teams are doing such things as reserving peanut-free suites for certain games, providing other peanut-free controlled seating areas, and some even have one or two games that will be completely peanut-free. A couple of MLB teams provide peanut-free seating for all of their home games. In 2017, there were 94 MLB games that were peanut-free or provided peanut-free controlled seating. So far this year there have been 14 games that were peanut free or had peanut-free seating, and 74 more games are scheduled. There may also be other games announced later.
Here are the teams that we know have participated or are participating in 2018. Please visit the team websites for ticket ordering information.
- Atlanta Braves. The Braves will have two peanut-free suites at their July 5th game.
- Arizona Diamondbacks. There is a peanut-free suite reserved for most all the Diamondback home games. Contact Diney Ransford at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the suite.
- Baltimore Orioles. The Orioles have a Peanut Allergy Suite that is cleaned before each game and reserved only for fans with allergies. The suite is available for May 28, June 15 and 25, July 13 and 23, and August 14.
- Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox will have peanut-sensitive seating at the following games: May 20, May 27, June 10, July 9, July 29, August 19 and August 21. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Chicago White Sox. The White Sox will have two Peanut Allergy Awareness Games on May 19th and July 15th. Limited seating is available for these games.
- Cleveland Indians. The following games will be peanut-free: May 27th, Jun 15th and 24th, July 8th, August 17th and September 14th.
- Detroit Tigers. The Tigers have already hosted two peanut-free games in April and will host a third on May 26th.
- Kansas City Royals. The Royals have a peanut-free suite that will be available June 19th, July 8th, August 16th and September 2nd. They will also offer a designated bathroom for these games, to cut down even more on allergen exposure.
- Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers have one peanut-free game scheduled for this year, on July 30th. Please contact BritniH@ladodgers.com for more information.
- Miami Marlins. June 8th will be a peanut-sensitive night at the Marlins stadium.
- Milwaukee Brewers. The following Brewers games will be peanut-sensitive: June 11, June 21, July 30, August 3 and September 28.
- Minnesota Twins. The Twins will offer a peanut -controlled seating area on May 21, June 10, 20 and 24, July 12 and 15, August 16, 19 and 26, and September 9 and 30.
- New York Yankees. The Yankees will have a peanut-sensitive suite available for their July 3rd Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Oakland Athletics. The As have a peanut-free zone for all the 2018 home games, and this area is cleaned before each game. There is also a peanut-controlled entrance.
- Philadelphia Phillies. Two peanut-free suites will be available for the following Phillies games: June 8, July 3 and 20, August 17 and September 16. A limited number of tickets are available for these suites.
- Pittsburg Pirates. The Pirates will hold an Allergy Awareness Day on May 20 There will be peanut-controlled seating.
- San Diego Padres. The Padres will have a peanut-controlled zone at their game on July 29th. Furthermore, some of the proceeds from the ticket sales of this game will be donated to the Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) organization.
- Seattle Mariners. Three sections will be peanut-free at the Mariners stadium on May 27th, June 30th, July 20th and August 21st. These sections will be sanitized and inspected right before the gates open on these nights. There will also be signage displayed.
- Louis Cardinals. There will be a peanut restricted area for the May 20th game.
- Toronto Blue Jays. The Blue Jays will have a peanut-reduced seating area for the following games: June 10, 15 and 19, July 1, 4 and 23, August 8, 20 and 24, and September 5, 9 and 22. This area will be cleaned and inspected before each game. Additionally, a designated entrance will be available and extra staff and emergency workers will be on hand for these games.
- Washington Nationals. The Nationals have a peanut-sensitive area for their games on May 20, July 7, August 4, August 19 and September 23. Contact Puglio@nationals.com for ticket information.
As you can see, a lot of progress has been made by MLB teams as far as accommodating peanut-allergic fans. Hopefully in the future we will see more MLB teams offering peanut-controlled seating or peanut-free games. It would be wonderful if all the teams offered some sort of peanut-controlled seating at all home games. Maybe that will be something we see in the future!
Do you know of any upcoming MLB games that will be peanut-free or reduced? Have you attended a peanut-free or reduced game in the past? How was your experience? Please let us know in the comments.